Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Training for the Old

March 31, 2010

Banking on the belief that I'm still a free spirit, I have been biting on all the opportunities that are presenting in front of me.



After graduation, the next day there was a Grad Lunch, then Laser Tag, then a friend's Grad Party. Okay, that Grad Party was a complete W.O.W. event and I just put periods after each letter to make it standout but they really don't mean a thing. After that I went to a full coma, meaning I woke up late in the afternoon again. Then the next day I went to school to get my yearbook and then got tagged along to play Band Hero at another coursemate's house. It was my cousin's graduation and went to their place.

Afterwards, I was in a coma again. So last night, I can't remember how I came up with the idea of riding the Philippine National Railway trains. And the idea was becoming more real. If I wasn't able to ride it when it was in its old forgotten condition, how different is the new one? I want to be able to ride it, to see the surroundings that aged with it. My post/status in Facebook got a lot of comments and usually the "inggiteros" that I love wanted to come and ride the trains as well.

The MIS blocks were represented. Karen for S, Lau for S1, Me for S2, and Vic for S3. Not bad. We missed the planned schedule by 5 minutes. Five minutes. Five. Minues. Makes one appreciate every minute that passes by. Next train in an hour. What to do? Burn time. Tutuban Center Mall was just across, actually it's the landmark to be able to locate the PNR Station. PNR Tutuban Station = just behind Tutuban Center Mall. Anyway, so we decided to go to the mall while waiting for the next trip. The waiting game became a food trip for everyone. Yet the highlight was the mendicant.

A kid was pestering us and was begging for something. Liao offered her chicharong bituka to the kid but he shook his head. Karen offered her siomai but the kid doesn't want any of it. Liao was furious and told the kid, "Beggars can't be choosers." Yes, she said it in English and didn't bother if the kid understood it or not. Hahaha.

Kid = 0; Vic Liao = 2

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

MORAL: We want what we do not have. We have been riding the LRT 1 and 2 for years, and have experienced riding the MRT as well. There's one more railway left, the PNR, and we haven't experienced it for quite a long time. This fascination is nothing new, we have been wanting to connect to what has been there all along. These things we have forgotten; now that we have the time and now that we have ran out of excuses, with only ourselves as the barrier, doing it, going for it, not knowing if it will live up to our expectations, is totally worth it. If not now, when?

No comments: