Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Not A Book Review


Jay Asher's debut novel.
Over Christmas break, I have been devouring books pretending I don't have work (yes, I am in the corporate setting and we have Christmas break). When the tv series had their breaks as well, that was when I had all the time in the world to start reading. At least a chapter before sleeping is the minimum requirement but most of the time I can flip through a lot of pages in a short time so books are pretty much going by smoothly for me.

For Christmas, I got a couple of books from a friend and they were eaten alive even before the start of work week. Happy New Year! I was reading while waiting for the food. I was reading while waiting for the fireworks. I read after waking up from alcohol-inspired sleep. Afterwards, my friend/teammate lent me her copy of "Something Borrowed" which I also watched its movie adaptation (I still love you, Kate Hudson even if I dislike the whole concept of Something Borrowed). Then another teammate lent me her amazingly awesome "Thirteen Reasons Why" which is on the Young Adult genre dealing with teen suicide. The writing style and approach offers something fresh while the plot is really intriguing! It can keep you up and reading on and on. I'm going to start with "The Tipping Point", my 3rd Malcolm Gladwell book (done with "Outliers" and "Blink").

The last book I finished and the current one I'm reading.
However, this is not about any of those books. The main reason I wrote this entry is about Eros Atalia's "Ligo na Ü, Lapit na Me" and it's the book I have read after Bob Ong's "Ang mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan". Yes, borrowed from a teammate again (three teammates mentioned here are all different people, so I'm still not making a library card yet!). It was so painful that I even had the energy to jot things down in my red tickler! It has a film adaptation as well, which I haven't watched.


Dec. 18, 2011

"Ligo na Ü, Lapit na Me" na aklat ni Eros S. Atalia ay galit sa letrang "i" at tila nilayasan ng editor. Hindi sa pagiging grammar nazi o kung anuman, sabi nga ng may-akda na ang pagsusulat ay pakikipag-usap. Maraming mga hiram na salita pati mga madalas na ginagamit sa salitang Filipino ang na-"murder" ika nga.

May mga bahagi rin dito na ipinahayag ng may-akda ang saloobin niya sa mga isyung pambansa. Hindi ko masabi kung out-of-place sila o talagang gusto niyang tumalakay ng mga isyu sa libro niya. Dapat daw ang isinusulat ng writer ay parang tabloid o kending nailalako sa lansangan na mura, accessible, at readable ng lahat.

Maganda ang intensyon, kulang ang laman.

No comments: