Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Books Or Something Like It

Obviously drafted last April.

Ending April Fool's and started the day after it by finishing a borrowed copy of Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" which is going to be released some time this year starring Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson kid), Emma Watson (Harry Potter female star), and Nina Dobrev (The Vampire Diaries goddess). I dislike it when books, stories, films, essays, television shows, music, or even art make me think of things, more on its effect on me and what I think after because of it. It's fiction, not some school reading "designed" to invoke some further thinking and discussion because most of the time, these non-school readings were just supposed to make you kill time.

Then I remembered watching "The Art of Getting By" starring Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory kid) and Emma Roberts (Nancy Drew girl). Same thing, fatalistic/freak/weirdo boy meets a beautiful girl and they start discussing life sitting on a bench at the park. I am pretty sure although not hopeful, that "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" would be having the same tone and pace as "The Art of Getting By." Either I just found both films too similar or some boys just come into age in a very similar way.

Then I remember what Jessica Zafra shared in an entry in her blog, "Why Finish Books?" written by Tim Parks. It's kind of sad (I think) that I want to engage others in a focus-group-discussion like of some sorts after reading the same book or watching the same film, regardless if we watched it together or not. I just want to have some time like what Charlie and his friends did at Big Boy's where they started discussing about things. Of course without the cigarettes and the drugs.

When should you quit on a book? When you still wait page after page that it will live up to the wonderful reviews you read about it? They say "life is too short for bad books" but some folks spent a lot of time and money to have it printed - is it really that "bad"?
Is a good book by definition one that we did finish? Or are there occasions when we might choose to leave off a book before the end, or even only half way through, and nevertheless feel that it was good, even excellent, that we were glad we read what we read, but don’t feel the need to finish it?
How to finish a book in a day is really dependent on the kind of reading you want to do. Good books are different from books you can actually finish (or say an easy-read). That's why sometimes I hang out at the Young Adult Literature part of bookstores because there are days I don't want to read a "good" book, I just want to read.

No kidding, next titles I have are (still) Jonathan Safran Foer's "Everything Is Illuminated" and Bob Ong's "Lumayo Ka Nga Sa Akin" and here I'll see which one is the better one and/or which one I can finish easily. Oh crap, I still have "The Tipping Point" halfway. Oh great, which one to finish first?!

No comments: