Saturday, June 23, 2012

Brewing Coffee Like A Vietnamese

Hurrah for Vietnamese coffee and of course,
the coffee filter!
While I still have plans of being a tea connoisseur (well that's a nice way of putting it), Ate Danie brought an interesting Vietnamese coffee filter from her trip. It's a common device used in Vietnam (where else) and is good for a single-serve cup. I drink my coffee (and tea) in mugs so I'm still trying out the measurement for this one (maybe just add more beans and drip it twice). I have a coffee press and still encounter my problem of being lazy in cleaning it afterwards keeping the coffee hot after the first cup, so I think this single-serve coffee filter would be very much used instead. We have a coffee machine here at home but I'm the only one who drinks mostly, so if laziness strikes, good luck! I'd rather drink the 3-in-1 mixes (it's instant for a reason) meaning our coffee beans would be as good as rat food in no time.

So how the heck do you use this freaking thing? How about the coffee grind? Should I even bother? Although even coarse grind is okay (since it won't pass through the filters), I prefer the medium grind (perfect for drip) so that full flavor and strength can be used but of course this takes more time for your coffee to be done and is based on your preference. There are different kinds of grind for your coffee, you could check the coffee grind chart. My first bag of Vietnamese coffee is coarse grind, I don't know why but since it was a gift, I don't mind at all. Our Starbucks blend is of the medium grind so I like to use it a lot. Vietnamese coffee has a distinct taste, very flavorful compared to the coffee we usually have here in the Philippines. I still think the Hawaiian Kona has the strongest taste.

If you like Vietnamese coffee, start with Step 1; otherwise, proceed with Step 2. There are 2 kinds of coffee filters - the one with screw and the one without it. Using the filter without the screw is obviously simple as you just have to put the ground coffee, then top screen, and add water. Cover, then wait for your coffee. Thanks to ineedcoffee.com for the photos.

Step 1 is to pour condensed milk to your cup. That's milk and sugar in one.
Step 2 is to remove the top screen by unscrewing it.
Photo credit from ineedcoffee.com
Step 3 is to put the ground coffee beans and then screw the top screen for a snug fit. Filters without screw should just put their top screen on top of the beans. Easy breezy cover girl.

Step 4 Put your filter on top of your cup/mug (but I usually do this as Step 2 haha) and pour water on top of it. When you fill the filter with water, cover it and wait for your brewed coffee. Be amazed for a couple of minutes as your coffee drip from the filter.
Photo credit from ineedcoffee.com
Step 5 Once the water has completely dripped, carefully remove the filter (it's freaking warm!) and enjoy your coffee.


I drink my coffee black with just one packet of Splenda, or when I'm in the office I put some Milo instead of creamer or milk. I have read that in Vietnam, they put condensed milk at the bottom of the cup, then place the coffee filter on top, and finally start the brewing process. Mix it, and if preferred to be consumed cold, just pour it onto a glass with ice. I would definitely love to experience this when I go to Vietnam on August! (Condensed milk, just like how they do it for Thai milk tea! But that's another entry. :p)

While I'm still in the country and just have my coffee goodies with me, I'll keep on using this Vietnamese coffee filter. It's as easy as making a regular instant coffee, so go for the natural version - brewed!
Do you like it black or with cream?

No comments: