Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Revenge and the Six Movies

Finishing (finally!) the season-finale of "Revenge" and watching 6 movies (1 in the cinema in 3D while the rest are downloads at home) are definitely kicking-up my work-life weekends. I have dropped the idea of turning on my work laptop and checking emails over the weekend as well. The unnecessary stress is not needed and it's an accomplishment for me whenever I do that, which basically means more food for me as a reward. I reward myself with food, like a dog.

Revenge - the series, although not written with much depth, is entertaining enough as the characters are beautifully flawed. There are a lot of WTF and how-the-heck moments but this show can get your bum glued to your seat and keep on waiting until the lead character finally makes a mistake. The main character, portrayed by the pretty Emily VanCamp, is not really a genius psycho-plotter but she's vindictive enough to dedicate herself to the downfall of the people in her list. Plus she has mastered martial arts and is filthy rich. Well, this is not a review of the series although it's interesting to write about it, too.
Emily VanCamp.
What about the season finale? It sure made things more interesting! I'm always amazed by season finales, maybe that's the only time the writers are required to stay in a room and not leave until they churn out an episode that can make the whole world rotate the other way. Their first season finale has a lot of things going on, is action-packed (good for ADHD folks), and they definitely supplemented a new twist.

How about the movies? Well, it started with watching "Men in Black 3 in 3D" (sometimes 3D is just painful in the eyes) and noticing that the younger Agent O looks familiar. Turns out she's in "Sex and the City 2" (as Erin the bra-less Irish nanny) which I finally watched when I got home. There's something wrong with SATC2 but it's SATC, there's got to be something wrong with it for it to work out. (Side, it's my first time to actually see the trailer of "Resident Evil: Retribution" in 3D. I can't wait to see Rain back alive as well as Jill Valentine in action. Oh gosh, girly crushes! Not to mention fan-girl flailing will occur.) Afterwards, I watched "Chloe", the movie of Amanda Seyfried, Julianne Moore, and Liam Neeson. A very intriguing story which makes me believe now that glass houses are not really safe. Hello next day. After another day of pigging out at a restaurant, I managed to watch "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", Hollywood's version. I have watched the 3 Swedish versions of the film and I'm interested in how Hollywood's pulling this off. Hey, not bad. The dragon tattoo of Rooney Mara looks really nice and dark, indicating that either the character doesn't get the chance to expose it to sunlight or the tattoo is newly acquired. Then I went downstairs for more movies. "This Means War" starring Chris Pine, Reese Witherspoon, and Tom Hardy, is an entertaining film with a (really) stupid ending. End of story. To cap off the disappointment I had, I opted to watch "A Dangerous Method" which I'm pretty sure will make me (and you) fall asleep in no time. Keira Knightley, Michael Fassbender, and Viggo Mortensen portrayed Sabina Spielrein, Carl Jung, and Sigmund Freud respectively. It is, a live version of your psychology textbook.


Revenge, MIB3, SATC2, Chloe, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, This Means War, A Dangerous Method, 2 restaurants, and a short run. Not bad for a weekend.

No comments: