Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Me and My Tsinelas

A friend mentioned that my blog has been stagnant for quite sometime. He's clearly not a fan of subtlety. So I checked when was the last time I actually barfed out an entry, and OH. My blog? Stagnant? *checks blog*

Let's look for a topic that we can digress from. Hmm. Oh wait.

My parents were not fans of my "tsinelas get-up" back when I was still in college (this is not eons ago, OK?). They think the straps would just one day give in and I would be forced to walk home with rubber bands or masking tape or I'd be suddenly advocating that "barefoot walking is actually good for our health". Well, walking around in your tsinelas is not really advisable when you're in Manila. The streets are just full of good things surprises. The pavement doubles as spittoons, garbage cans, urinals (applicable to both people and animals alike), and other things that don't make you happy.
Thanks to DISCS for the materials and to Anna for being a good foot model friend.
I remember this "prototype" my friend and I did way back February 2010 (oh college life). It was finals season and everyone's stalking the whereabouts and lurking around the areas where the copy machines are. It was so warm (hello open Ateneo grounds) and we were desperate for a photocopying machine to have all our reviewers well, photocopied (no duh). The nearest and most available place would be the library. *cue in the sound from the dagger-in-the-shower-horror/thriller scene* Problem? There is a frigging dress code! Minimum rule: no spaghetti straps and slippers/flip-flops. Yes, that's a dress code already, and you got it right (you're a genius!), I'm not a fan. No one's actually a fan of that dress code, I mean come on?! Zeee flip-flops is the staple footwear of the summer (or of most Ateneans)! How could you take that away from us??

What to do? Go to your home department and get some freaking straws and wrap around your slippers. #instasandals

With the current weather the Philippines is feeling sweaty about, my dehydrated brain suddenly thought of...slippers. Like tsinelas. Habayanas. Flip to the flops. And how I want to buy a new pair right now! Iamthisclosetobuying a pair before my wallet goes dehydrated, too. I won't get one with so many embellishments although it could be a very good weapon when you feel violent and want to do a roundhouse kick on someone. To be honest, I just churned out this entry because aside from having an entry for April, I am thinking of buying a new pair of slippers. If other folks crave for TJ's Cookie Butter or some milk tea, I might be craving for slippers. Ohh.

No comments: