Friday, September 13, 2013

Yes, I'm still reading the book "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer. I have read his other works as well and this topic really just hits the spot. I get to read a few pages each time I wait for the company shuttle or when I'm somewhere else waiting for my sister to leave the office. And just earlier while sitting out the traffic light on my way home, a whole paragraph from page 93 posted a good avenue for thinking or reflecting - whichever suits you more.
Why is taste, the crudest of our senses, exempted from the ethical rules that govern our other senses. If you stop and think about it, it's crazy. Why doesn't a horny person have as strong a claim to raping animal as a hungry one does to killing and eating it? It's easy to dismiss that question but hard to respond to it. [...] Try to imagine any end other than taste for which it would be justifiable to do what we do to farmed animals.
Well, people still eat. Maybe we're stuck at that level of appreciation - taste.

No comments: