Saturday, December 28, 2013

Then A Different Cab Story

I love cab stories. I remember the one time I rode a cab, on the last day of work (we have shutdown, baby!), and as usual - I send the cab details to people at home and engage the driver into a conversation just because I want to know the person whom I have entrusted my life with for at least an hour or less of our travel time.

We started with the usual route and traffic conversation starter. I noticed a Blackberry hanging from the rear-view mirror. He told me about his experience with a really arrogant passenger who wanted him to swerve and drive recklessly. He asked the passenger to step out of his cab and he continued with, "Some passengers think just because they pay their fare, they own us already." Then he started talking about Born Again Christians and we then shifted to his son. He asked me if I'm still studying and he said that his son was changed by his Christian friends. He was a dropout of HRM and just spent his time playing mindless computer games. He stopped studying, he didn't have vices and is a good son, well except that he doesn't want to study anymore. Then he got involved with a Christian group. He joined their cell groups and the praise-and-worship band, becoming their keyboardist. Then one day, he told his parents, "Mom, Dad, I want to study again." Given that they are supportive parents, they asked him of his chosen course. He wanted to take IT and the best thing is that apart from the 50% scholarship, he actually wants to have a degree this time.

Then he mentioned something else. His son is not his eldest child. He has a stepdaughter from his wife who had a child with someone who left her. He was bestfriends with his wife and since he was still single then, they got together. He was able to provide for his family and his stepdaughter was able to finish school. Now, she lives in the US where she married a soldier who has a position and has a son. He asked me if I want to see a photo of his grandson who looks like an artista. He was really excited so who am I to say no? He handed me his Blackberry (with the AT&T mark on!) and showed photos of his grandson. He mentioned that when his stepdaughter and grandson visited them (when the husband was stationed in Afghanistan), he brought the kid with him and entertained the passengers.

It was a very good trip. Neither of us noticed that we were at San Juan already. It was a really interesting cab ride for me, one of my most interesting ones to be honest. I even told the driver about my ill-fated encounter with a creeper-driver. He definitely countered that misadventure.

No comments: