Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Story of Mini-Cruisers

The cruiser (and mini-cruiser) board has been quite a sight lately. Skate parks and nicely paved areas are around the metro already bringing in more skaters into the scene. Skateboarders and longboarders have been around for some time but the cruisers are making a splash more recently. 

The first time I saw a cruiser board was when I was at Bagasbas Beach, Camarines Norte. I thought how fancy the board looked like and it wasn't that long like a longboard or a skateboard. The dude was carving somewhat seamlessly along the sidewalk. My fascination stayed at Bagasbas after I went back home to Manila as I saw that there were only a few online sellers of cruiser boards and they were at a whopping Php7,000++ back then. I could already book a trip to Palawan with Php7k! (And I did go to Palawan.) 

Fastforward to when I went to Melbourne, Australia. Man! It was everywhere! Melbourne had a laid back and outgoing lifestyle and I got to visit it during summer. The pathways swarmed with scooters, bikes, and boards. Cruisers were everywhere! I swear I wanted to purchase one right there, I just don't know how to bring it back home. I was already overweight by 5 kilos. Ha. Ha. 

After a year, the price has normalized. It means it's not freaking overpriced anymore! It's not a very cheap ride/toy/device, but it being priced that much a few years ago was unreasonable. 

Today, the local price is the relatively the same as their Amazon or official online price. You know what that means, right? Time to buy one and start the peklat process!!! 
My friend got the plastic Penny mini-cruiser at Php4,700 while I got the ecowood Fluidsurf mini-cruiser at Php3,500. Mind you, the Fluidsurf is a local brand. I used to purchase rashguard of their brand because it's locally made (and cheaper).

Okay, so we know the price. Now, how do you compare the ride?
That's not a feather duster, that's a... rooster.
I felt proud that we can make boards locally and they look competitive. Just look at mine, white trucks, red wheels, and just plain beautiful. Then you try kicking it. It does NOT go straight! My board is not going straight. (-__-) Wheel or truck alignment? I have no idea for now. Well, interim solution is to just adjust when you're riding it. You have no choice for now. The Penny (Aussie-made) rides smoother and it's easier to turn. The Fluidsurf ecoboard is more stable though and is perfect if your balance is as good as the Lochness Monster - a mystery. A friend says the ecoboard is better at carving but really, for now all I'm thinking of is to not fall on my butt, or face, or elbow, or basically fall.

No comments: