Saturday, August 08, 2015

Reading Anything This August?

*I have started this entry in English and since I noticed it's the National Language Month (Buwan ng Wika, man!), I feel guilty for continuing this in English instead of retyping everything in Filipino. :( Masahol pa ako sa malansang isda, alam ko. Huhubells.*

Books. They say nothing beats hard copies - printed copies of books that have mystified you, or authors you simply adore. Recently, I have scored Bob Ong's "Si" and yes, you can shame me for not supporting our local authors. I have a history with books, I just got into the whole reading thing late in grade school / early in high school mainly due to the then-influx of Filipino authors who wrote entertaining books full of essays and those that look like a compilation of interrelated thought bubbles. I still have pending Jessica Zafra books to be ordered and Miriam Defensor-Santiago's books which I initially bought as a gift for my friend. I know. I initially intended this post to be my published dirty laundry list of books I haven't flipped through. What an ugly avenue to do so.

Starbucks sample cards are the best, prettiest, and cheapest bookmarks you'll have.
Just accompany your friend, no need to talk like a social climber, and just grab these babies
while she orders her overpriced drink.
How about e-books? I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I have my phone which is still serving as my smaller book reader for times I want to sneak in a few chapters in the office without looking like I'm not working. How about something more tangible? I still have hard copies of books I either bought or borrowed from my friends. I'm lucky I have friends who read books and are generous enough to lend and forget about it.

How do you manage reading through a book despite the internet, the television, and EDM music all over the radio? For me, I usually read 2 books side by side, although okay there are instances I read three books at the same time. The usual scene is that I read the book with most illustrations or fewer pages first a non-fiction alongside one or two fictions. At the moment I am reading "The Art of Thinking Clearly" by Rolf Dobelli while reading Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's "Good Omens" in my phone and "By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept" by Paulo Coehlo in my Kindle. I know, it's not the most advisable way to finish off books but it works for me! Just do the rotation if you feel like your poorly self-diagnosed ADHD kicks and in no time, you'll realize the three books are done and you're looking for the next best thing!

Don't lose the art of reading. I don't mind if you prefer printed ones or just your phone/reader, as long as you read, there is hope for the future. Also, please stop spending all your time watching those viral video you see on social media. If you can't quit it, minimize it at the very least. Grab a book. Start the first chapter today. :)

1 comment:

Felisa said...

I unfortunately missed when Filipino authors started writing things that were entertaining for all. For the most part, I just remember reading Ibong Adarna and some Filipino-American book finds at the St. John's library. I'll look up some Bob Ong and Jessica Zafra soon though!

I wanna say Harry Potter started it all for me. I don't read as much as I want but I think I've gone off the deep(er) end because when I "read" now, it's not even hardcopy vs Kindle -- I listen to audiobooks. It's just much easier to do while at work, at the gym or while doing chores around the house... I never seem to have time otherwise. I miss sitting down with a book but am really only able to do so when I'm on a plane or on vacation (which, let's be honest, is a small chunk of life in general).