So when an offer to join an officemate coming home to Pampanga for the Holy Week came up like a beanstalk (from Jack and the Beanstalk), I quickly jumped the gun. It was just after I accepted that I realized how possibly dumb that was, considering I will be a visitor/spectator/observer/pet for a couple of days, as I might be a nuisance in their festivities (hello do I hear reunions?).
I just had a dilemma at that time. It's because the saints, Virgin Mary, and their traditions are so revered, that if my hosts ask me if I want to try it (e.g. kissing the cross), would I? Two points: A.) If I try it for the sake of trying, would that be (a little) disrespectful as I'm just trying something that they consider special? It's just like an atheist wearing a cross because it's a nice accessory. And I abhor this idea. B.) If I say No, would I be channeling Discovery Channel or National Geographic and act as a pure observer of the events unfolding right in front of my pupils?
My first Visita Iglesia after dark was spellbounding! Although it was like I was the odd-man out because I was with my host's relatives, visiting 7 churches around (Bulaon) San Fernando and Bacolor was very memorable. I've never had too much gooseflesh at that time from one church to another. I found it heartwarming that people still acknowledge the importance of the Lenten Season.
One MAJOR concern I had was about cameras. Devotees and visitors pray and observe silence inside the churches. If I had epilepsy, I would have a lot of attacks or episodes inside! The flash from the cameras are blinding, not to mention distracting! Holy Lord, please abolish flash photography inside! Oh, make it 2 major concerns (one plus one is two, right?). This would be those I found sacrilegious. Making suggestive poses in front of the statues of the saints and giggling? Seriously?
One MAJOR concern I had was about cameras. Devotees and visitors pray and observe silence inside the churches. If I had epilepsy, I would have a lot of attacks or episodes inside! The flash from the cameras are blinding, not to mention distracting! Holy Lord, please abolish flash photography inside! Oh, make it 2 major concerns (one plus one is two, right?). This would be those I found sacrilegious. Making suggestive poses in front of the statues of the saints and giggling? Seriously?
MORAL: A bus ride to Pampanga and lots of car and wheeler (aka pedicab) rides after, Holy Week 101 in Pampanga was an enthralling experience. Not to mention I need to be acquainted on how to speak Kapampangan - my dad is as fluent like how a fish swims (what a great comparison!). :|
No comments:
Post a Comment