Saturday, December 09, 2006

Mommy, I See Blind People

How would you describe blue to a blind man?
I can't see you. Come out, come out wherever you are, I still can't see you.

How do you think people in sunglasses opt to buy electric guitars to play at the sides of streets? Steel-stringed guitars with pick-ups are cheaper than electric ones. Where do they get batteries (car) to operate their guitars and microphones? How can they multitask - playing the harmonica, guitar, and singing? No, they can't play the harmonica and sing at the same time. If you see one who can, tell me please, I'd love to see and hear him play. (Yes, I can multitask, too. If you consider texting while walking and holding an umbrella, eating while reading a book and listening to music, typing and watching tv while being reprimanded, as multitasking.)

My first encounter with blind musicians was in Greenhills. Who wouldn't hear them play - the speakers were in full-volume, and the music would haunt you anywhere in the area. Then there's a box in front, it's locked, maybe to prevent some hoodlums to steal the donations for the blind (life is really difficult, and you can't maintain to have a used KFC plastic cup as a donation box these days). I am still fascinated with them, up to now, but I don't linger at their area, I might hear people who would say something about me or anyone, who stops to enjoy their music or feat, without dropping loose change or money in the box. (You can't blame me, I don't have that much to give... Well, maybe as of now. I'll get back with them when I start working, if, they are still there.)

While waiting for the train in the LRT-2 station, I often wonder of what use is the security guard's whistle. Is that to warn people that the train is approaching - when anyone can hear the sound (and see the lights!) of the arriving train? I asked that question to a friend who routinely rides the MRT as well. He stopped for a while, nodded his head in wonder, and told me, "Maybe it is to warn people not to step on the very obvious yellow line that even blind men could feel with their feet." Maybe that was it, though they still blow their whistles when a train is coming.

There are warning signs, "Do not go down the trackside" with fines amounting to 50,000PHP, which I still read everytime I wait for the train. (I often wonder what would happen if I go down there since I think the electricity comes from the wires above. But first, I would save extra 50,000PHP to experience it. They didn't say anything of being banned or jailed if you do it.)

Then there are the Lego-like yellow things on the floor. I followed those trails that lead to the elevator, then from the elevator, to one place in the waiting area. I stood exactly where the trails ended. After the guard blew his whistle (although I can HEAR and SEE the approaching train), the train stopped to un/load passengers, the doors opened right in front of where I stood. Cool.

Hmm, if a blind man would ride LRTs or MRTs, how would he know where to slip the card through? There are a lot of Xs in the machines. Would they try to insert the cards into the machines one by one? Also, how would they know if they pressed the correct button for their destination? (Maybe there are good-hearted people who would help them. But what if it is not rush hour - when the stations are like deserted?)

Suggestions and answers to my queries are appreciated.

MORAL: Learn an instrument, 'cause you'll never know when you'll be blind (my brother told me this, "Atleast, when you get blind, you can still make money.."). And don't feed beans to musicians, developing arthritis is never good for anyone, especially string players. Blindmen have heightened senses, ask Daredevil for more infos concerning this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hayha cute ng mga topic mo mei ^^ haha keep it up lol you sure are the good at expressing yourself lol ^^

haha il vist your blog everyday ^^ haha so in short better write and update your blog everyday lol