Monday, July 02, 2007

Love - All

If I would have a brand, it would be Love-All, or 0-0 in tennis scoring. I just want it that way, don't mind me. I don't want Ace, it's the name of a tennis show and a magazine, so it would just be redundant if I dream of using it.

This is Marat Safin, a professional tennis player and one of my favorite people. He is famous for his looks (according to me, haha) and of course, the explosive antics. I love watching him, his sister Dinara Safina, and Nicole Vaidisova. Well, aside from their skills, it's because of the way these 3 players (also included in my never-ending list of favorite people) react when they lose an important point, or when things don't go their way. It is like watching an action movie or something, because eventually, you'll see a flying tennis racquet which would fall back on earth, a smashed racquet (which would be crushed and given to the fans or just thrown away), shouting in different languages (this is one of the reasons I want to learn multiple European languages, so I would know what the heck they are shouting), ball kids being reprimanded for no apparent reasons, umpires and linesmen being yelled and insulted by the players, and pitiful tennis balls being hit with the power of hell (the balls then become flat or destroyed).

If you want neurotic, there are tennis players. If you want psychotic, there are tennis players. If you want superstitious, there are tennis players. If you want well, I think tennis players have it, whatever it is that you're thinking.

However, I noticed recently (yes, I have been following the coverage of the tour for some time), Marat has been calm, replacing the shouting at the top of his lungs with just frowns and super deep sighing. I miss the Marat Safin who's very vocal and graphic. He has not smashed a racquet (as far as I have watched) and has not yelled at umpires or linesmen for some time. Weird. But he did complain that the prices of the food in the Wimbledon are too high and they don't even taste good. Cool. If he matched that complaint with nerve-wracking actions, it would be great.

Watch Wimbledon (it's the current Grand Slam, and I'm watching Venus Williams and Akiko Morigami battle for a 4th-Round meeting with Maria Sharapova, who wears a dinosaur dress), even though the tournament is being tormented with rain. I like the previous dresses, but this one for Wimbledon, it just doesn't appeal to my eyes. Still, I won't forget Serena's Australian Open dress, where she looked like a giant tennis ball. I have nothing against Serena and Maria. Promise. It's just when it comes to tennis clothes, I won't forget that lime green something dress. Promise. Haha, I even adore both of them, skills only, not their grunting prowess.


MORAL: Tennis is fun, especially when someone does something unusual. Like in the Australian Open, the ballkid threw the ball early and hit Nicole Vaidisova, tadah. Instant anger. I was waiting for her to hit the kid, but unfortunately she didn't. In short, don't hit anyone on purpose. Make it look like it was only an accident. And, fight with the umpire, just not to the extent that you'll be thrown out of the tournament, there's Hawk-Eye* you know.

*Hawk-Eye is the latest technology which gives the players an accurate reading/replay whether the ball is really in or out or whatever.

No comments: