Monday, May 19, 2008

So, Deer Eli Dee

Dear Eli,


Hi Eleonette. What's up?! It's been a year. Yes, it's been a year since we left Ateneo to go to Nueva Ecija for our Socio-Anthro finals. I remember that time, we were inside the bus, grabbing our hearts as the bus driver was driving like crazy. Yeah, he was driving so fast and didn't have seatbelt, I thought we were going to the spirit world in no time. Just like you did, more than a year ago. Driving without seatbelt, driving so fast. Leaving so fast. We survived that bus ride, you survived the misery in this world and went to the place full of mysteries. So Eli, are you still driving really fast there?

Why am I telling you this story? Well, because you were not there yet somehow you're involved. Anyway, we arrived at Nueva Ecija safe and sound, though a little crazy from the freakish ride. Happiness and joy were the expected emotions to emanate that day, that exact time, the moment you step on the cold, wet grounds of Central Luzon State University. However, you ruined it. Yeah. You did. News about you was spreading like wildfire. Better than Ederlyn. You know Ederlyn? She's the persona in the text joke about a girl whose party was not well-attended. Ok, no one went to her party, sad, right? Back about you. We thought it was a joke as well, "Narinig mo na ba ang latest?" type of jokes. I read the text message, I was waiting for the punchline. I scrolled down my trusty Motorola... still no punchline. Then I read it again. Wow, the lines punched me - hard. Harder and stronger than Manny Pacquiao's, but not like I have ever felt Manny's punch. So Eli, you never knew you had that impact on us, right?

Yeah yeah. It was not a funny joke. Our teacher planned great, exciting things for us. The Amazing Sociological Race. I know you saw us there. Sorry we had a lot of fun then, we ran around towns, counted epitaphs and all. Funny we didn't remember you while we were at the cemetery that night for our final challenge. We remembered that sad joke afterwards. I didn't eat a lot at dinner then, I was a vegetarian (technically a pescetarian) and I only ate the sauce, potatoes, and rice. So Eli, how's the food there?

Dudette, what happened to the dress you were wearing? Was that your prom dress or your parents had it tailor-made for you? You know, I cried then.. because the pastor was really good. Ha! You thought it was because of you? Well yeah. The thing is, I cried, then Carl made fun of me, "Mei? First time kita nakitang umiyak." Well, I don't cry in public. By the way, I was waiting for the Goldilocks mamons to be given away. Hindi ka man lang nagpakain. We were not able to get food then. And, your blockmates, whom I was not yet fond of (we were at the getting-to-know-you part), counted me for the flowers. I was included in the share, I just hoped they included my name there. I was protesting because they might just write "from block S1" and well, I'm not from S1. I suggested "from S1 and Mei" but it really didn't matter that much. So Eli, are there flowers there?

By the way, you and your friend Joy still owe Carl some money. We ate at Dencio's in Eastwood and you excused yourself to check the moviesched. You didn't return. But it's okay... Carl paid it anyway. Haha. So Eli, have you watched the latest movies?

Oh, Crash and Burn by the Savage Garden still reminds me of you. I don't want to hear it alone okay? You don't have to play my iPod randomly so that I'll remember you. Oh yeah, I remember when you were selling iPods. Your status message was: "Brand new iPod Nano for sale! Slightly used!"

It made me want to buy that iPod even though I already had one. (Wow, maybe if you majored in Marketing, you're filthy rich now.) Yes, that iPod Nano you stuffed in my bag (after listening to Paris Hilton) when our English teacher arrived. Then after class, my battery was almost empty, you apologized to me because you didn't know how to turn an iPod off. Then when we were reporting, you brought us Cello donuts. Kat Ochoa (yes, the one you called Loser Kat) didn't want to take it, so I did. I ate a donut, then she suddenly ate one. So Eli, what music do you listen there? Still using iPod?

I still have a lot to type. However, we still have an MIS21 project to finish. We're still doing fine, except that we are too stressed out because of the project, we look like raccoons and pandas because of eyebags, and we are nocturnal already.

So Eli, how's the weather there? I'll write some more soon. Take care. +


Love,
Mei.

P.S. > Please don't reply to this letter. Writing (or typing) this is enough for me, don't make any plans of making me feel you're able to read it. Just saving a seat/house/(insert whatever space there is up there here) for me will do. Thanks, dear. We love you. =)

No comments: