(You won't be able to see the signature clearly on the one with black background. Surprise, she used black pen and signed it, no wonder one needs to look more clearly.)Note: I remembered I haven't published this entry..
Yeah, I watched Vanessa Carlton last Friday, May 09 live in TriNoma. It was supposed to be in the park (4th floor) however the venue was changed so we watched in cinema 7. She was hilarious, saying it was her first time playing in a moviehouse and that they should be selling popcorn or something. I found it entertaining when she said that she was sure she has some roots in the Philippines because everywhere she looks, she sees familiar faces - people look like her. Haha (except that she's taller than most). She also complained that it was warm. Her voice was uhh hoarse. Her fingers slipped while playing a song and I think it was White Houses (the bridge part of this song is somewhat fast) but I'm not really sure if that was the song AND she forgot the lyrics of The One particularly the first and second lines in the second verse. She played that song in a keyboard, for the sound effects. Dang, she really plays well, with the black piano and white mantle on top of it. I was waiting for the candles but they didn't come.
She played 13 songs non-stop, drinking water as her only break. The songs were in this order (with her comments, not verbatim, but you get the thought, about 90% exact):
1. Nolita Fairytale - (was the opening song)
2. Ordinary Day - "This is a song from a long time ago."
3. Hands on Me - "My mom was not happy about the title of this song. She said it sounds indecent."
4. Heroes and Thieves - she said there are heroes and thieves in our lives and we must find out about them.
5. White Houses - she played this without intro/speech/whatever, probably got tired of singing this song a thousand times already. Haha.
6. My Best - "My third album Heroes and Thieves is probably the most honest of my albums. However, this song is the only one in the album that isn't honest." (maybe because she doesn't believe in promises. haha.)
7. The One - she just said she played and wrote this with Stevie Nicks and that this was a "premonition song". She said it was freaky that you can like have a premonition when writing a song.
8. Who's To Say - (read the paragraph below)
9. Pretty Baby - "This is a song I wrote a long, long time ago." (She didn't touch the piano for this song, her guitarist played the whole shizzles.. Nicely done, though.)
10. Half A Week Before Winter - "This song is about vampires and unicorns. It has a lot of metaphors and is a very dark song. Just like the music industry today." (She's really mad at the situation of the music industry today.)
11. A Thousand Miles - she just played this without warning/intro/break. Maybe she's tired of playing this already as well. Haha.
12. More Than This - she said that we don't really need anything more than what we have right now. It was a Buddhist thinking and she realized that we just want too much in life.
13. Home - she feels like home in the philippines. (feels like home?! i think she's meaning to say 'hell' because she kept on saying it was warm. oh well, haha.)
Anyway, I like the lyrics of her song, "Who's To Say" which she also played that night saying, "This song is for those whose love is not approved by their parents.... or by the government."
Some parts go:
And who's to say we won't burn it out?
And who's to say we won't sink in doubt?
Who's to say that we won't fade to gray?
Who are they anyway? Anyway they don't know
And you say we're too young, but maybe you're too old to remember
And I try to pretend but I just feel it when we're together
And if you don't believe me, you never really knew us
You never really knew
You and I, packin' up my room, we feel alright
But we're not welcome, soon
We'll be drivin', 'cause they don't know who we are
Who's to say we won't stay together?
Who's to say we aren't getting stronger?
Who's to say I can't live without you?
Who are they anyway? Anyway they don't know
MORAL: Ahh, the power of love. Keeps you inspired until something happens and you go bonkers because of it. I researched the height of some artists I look up to and found out these info: Hayley Williams (of Paramore) stands 5'2, Avril Lavigne is 5'2, Michelle Branch 5'6, and Vanessa Carlton stands 5'6 (one site said 5'8). (Alicia Keys is 5'8, Sara Bareilles is 5'4, Colbie Caillat is 5'4 as well, and KT Tunstall 5'2.)
With this information and computing the mean for guitarists and pianists, I conclude that guitarists are shorter MAYBE (and probably) because electric guitars weigh a lot, guitars allow musicians to move around (AND burn more calories playing, singing, jumping, getting crazy) while pianists just sit the whole time playing and making great music with their fingers and arms (when it really gets serious and crazy as well).. :|
No comments:
Post a Comment