"And Safina has done a Safin." -> Winner!
When Marat Safin was on the brink of losing, I turned the computer off. I didn't want to know if he lost to Nikolay Davydenko or not. After that, I didn't watch the French Open for some time. Then news of the Williams sisters being eliminated reached me and I was going downhill. Americans are not really good on clay, so they say. (I'm considering Shriekapova as American already.)
I was not watching the French Open when a highschool friend texted me that it's Safina-Sharapova ripping each other on the tennis court. I then prepared my laptop to watch the live internet streaming. Then it struck me. I wouldn't dare watch the match, because doing so means Maria Sharapova would win the match. (I have written before that everytime I watch a Shriekapova match, even if she's a point away from losing, she comes back from the grave and eats her opponent - right before my eyes. Mind you, it never fails. Promise.) I wouldn't dare jinx Dinara Safina (the sister of my ever beloved Marat Safin) and let her lose this all-Russian-big-girls-with-broad-shoulders slugfest. Third set came and Joppet texted me. After a few while, he texted again if I want to know who won and he gave a clue: Russian. Then the moment of truth came, Dinara Safina won 6-7 7-6 6-2. Woooohoooo! It's like, yeah! My jinx still holds true at this moment. I didn't watch, she didn't win. Hmm...
Let's start with the amazing statistics from the French Open site first:
| Men's Double Fault Leaders | ||||||||||
| Rank | Player | Country | Matches | Double Faults | ||||||
| 1 | G.Monfils | FRA | 4 | 32 | ||||||
| 2 | J.Chardy | FRA | 4 | 28 | ||||||
| 3 | F.Verdasco | ESP | 4 | 27 | ||||||
| Women's Double Fault Leaders | ||||||||||
| Rank | Player | Country | Matches | Double Faults | ||||||
| 1 | M.Sharapova | RUS | 4 | 43 | ||||||
| 2 | A.Chakvetadze | RUS | 2 | 19 | ||||||
| 3 | A.Szavay | HUN | 3 | 18 | ||||||
| 4 | D.Safina | RUS | 4 | 16 | ||||||
| 5 | V.Williams | USA | 3 | 15 | ||||||
That's a whole lot of double faults for those who play best of 3 sets. Men play best of 5 sets and the stats say a lot of things.
I cannot deny I want to read write-ups about Shriekapova. I mean, c'mon, if you have read her post-match press interviews, she says the smartest, meanest, and lamest of things. It's like she's vying to be the next Serena Williams +/- Martina Hingis with regards to interviews.
Thanks to Yahoo! Sports News:
" PARIS - Maria Sharapova did not go quietly. No, her departure from the French Open was filled with sound and fury: her stroke-accompanying shrieks, her self-loathing shouts between points and the spectators' hearty boos and high-pitched whistles that ushered the No. 1-seeded woman to the exit.
After blowing the second set point, she (Dinara Safina) spiked her racket precisely the way Marat does, drawing a warning from the chair umpire.
"I'm not the girl to keep all the emotions I have inside," Safina said. "I guess I have to pay lots of fines because that's the way I am."
As play proceeded, her (Sharapova) yells became louder and louder as she berated herself, at least once with colorful language.
"You sometimes get a little too negative on yourself," Sharapova said.
When it ended, Safina dropped to her knees to celebrate. Sharapova quickly collected her things and left without acknowledging the fans who jeered her on the way out.
"I can't please everyone. That's not in my 'J.D.' — not in my job description," she said.
"I mean, they paid the ticket to watch me," she added, "so they must appreciate me on some level, right?"
Sharapova moved up from No. 2 to No. 1 when Henin quit, but the stay might be brief. Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic and Kuznetsova all could lead the rankings by the end of the week. Sharapova was asked about the possibility of losing her spot at the top.
Her reply? "Boohoo." "
Eyeloveit. Haha.
MORAL: They say tennis is an open field with regards to rankings, it is anybody's ball game. However, if there is a Ms Personality ranking in the tennis tour, there are only a few who are worthy of being in the top 5. Sometimes, personality wins a lot. Oh yeah.
No comments:
Post a Comment