Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Noah's Ark in San Juan

I heard a woman preach the Gospel of the Lord inside a moving bus while commuting home. She was talking about those who listen to the words of God and those who don't. That those who listen are to be saved (I listened to every word she said, even though I was wearing earphones, my iPod's turned off) and that those who do not mind the words of the Lord are to be punished. Then she handed envelopes for donation. "Manong, stop!" I have to leave the bus. (I was saved from donating money from my org-drained wallet.) Saved by my destination.

That was the end of my commuting adventure. Now, let's begin the day.

I ran from our van to the safety of the LRT station which was guarded heavily by water warriors. Water warriors aka tambays na may dalang tabo, balde at water guns who would rip themselves just to soak you in water. The guards in the LRT station were in cahoots with them because when I was walking (before I ran) he said, "Ito oh!" So it brings light to why there were a lot of "stranded" passengers at the stairs of the LRT stations.

Today is San Juan Day. The Feast of St. John the Baptist. Him, being a baptist, the mini-city (I can't still get over the fact that San Juan is now a city) celebrates their patron by drenching each other in much precious water. Why is San Juan Day infamous? Well aside from the similarity that it is celebrated same day with Manila Day, this town (ok, shush up, it's a city alright) is notorious for throwing pail-loads of water to commuting passengers inside jeepneys and tricycles, and most often than not, cause the rumble when cyclists and motorbikers all of a sudden treat the asphalt road like their beds. Then there are those who still wear white clothing while walking around the town (city). The tambays who hose people down are probably enjoying the feast when these white ladies are now white, wet ladies. It's a see-through world!

When God said, "Let there be water!" Certainly the people of San Juan collected all of them for the annual celebration. But atleast the food is great.


MORAL: If you do not have extra clothes and a sense of humor, don't even dare set foot in San Juan on June 24. Unless you bring your own vehicle, because even fire volunteers suck the water out from the fire hydrants just to blow the people away like there's a rally in the middle/side/back/front/underneath of the road.

No comments: