No shorts, wow.
Day 4 in Wimbledon - A day of upsets.
What is an upset? In tennis, it is when a higher ranked player is being sent off court by a lower ranked one. It has no relationship to what you feel. "Oh my gosh, I feel so upset today." Ooookkaaay. I am upset, though. These are players I wanted to watch progress a little further in the tournament.
The list of casualties:
[3] Maria Sharapova 6-2 6-4
[10] Daniela Hantuchova 6-3 4-6 6-1
[13] Vera Zvonareva 7-6 (12-10), 4-6, 6-3
[25] Lindsay Davenport walkover
[6] Andy Roddick 6-7(5) 7-5 6-4 7-6(4)
[9] James Blake 6-3 6-7(8) 4-6 6-4 6-4
My Maria Mystery still lingers. The one with the match thing. I didn't watch her match at all (the tv was off) because I was busy writing something. The next thing I saw when I checked the live scoreboard, she shamefully lost 6-2 6-4 without contest. So, the when-I-watch-Sharapova-wins-even-on-the-brink-of-defeat thing is still ON but I am so sad to see the waistcoat aka blazer go. It looks nice.
Daniela Hantuchova. I freaking hate this world. Dear Daniela, what the crap on earth did you do that you lost?! OK, considering Shriekapova ranks higher than Daniela and Shriekapova/Shortsapova lost, it would be acceptable to see Dani leave the court while her opponent celebrates. However, I really wanted Daniela to win more matches. Arggh.Vera Zvonareva. Who wouldn't love her last name?! She really had a temper there, stuffing her racquets inside her bag with much power I thought she was going to break the bag/racket whichever comes first.
Lindsay Davenport lost without even appearing on court. She walked home. Yes, back to the US of A.

Roddick is always a delight to watch, and he does what he does best - talk too much. He says a lot of thing to the umpire, a lot of negative things. I remembered he said before, "Kids study hard so that you won't be an umpire." Eyeloveit!
James Blake. WHYYYYYY?!?!
(In day 3, Novak just had Marat Safin's hug as his consolation prize as he was punished in straight sets.)
MORAL: In tennis, there are only two players. A net divides the court between them. A ball may go on either side and the umpire is not God, he is just there to shush the crowd and say your score loudly. What I'm trying to say is that, anything can happen. Even though sometimes (or a lot of times) it sucks.
No comments:
Post a Comment