This is a very, very, very good day for tennis.Let's start with the first match in Center Court at the All England Club. Novak Djokovic and former world no.1 *drum roll please* Marat Safin. Yay! Honestly, I used to be a big fan of Novak. Not until he talked too much about beating Roger and the decline of Roger's domination in men's tennis. On the other hand, Rafa was as humble as a rock still arguing that Roger is the man to beat in Wimbledon and all that. See, even Rafa is lovable. Anyway, the deal here is that after having all of those Marat+hon = Marathon, Marat finally quenched his thirst for victories (since he's always losing in the first and second rounds of tournaments). And the best way to celebrate the win is.... to whack Novak Djokovic in Wimbledon. Macho Marat drained the life force from Novak with 6-4 7-6 6-2. Take that Novak!
Marat was asked how far does he see himself on the draw, and he said something like when he saw Novak's name as his opponent for the 2nd round, he didn't care to look further. See. Humility is a prime factor to be world no. 1. Djokovic should be jotting down notes in the "How to be World Number 1" class. Rafa is still taking the class.


Aside from that, Nicole Vaidisova avoided an upset from Samantha Stosur aka shades-girl 6-2 0-6 6-4. I go ballistic whenever she, (sometimes) Anna Chakvetadze, and Daniela Hantuchova lose to unseeded players. Add Maria Kirilenko who lost in first round. (Maria Kirilenko wears Stella McCartney for Adidas clothing and damn! Stella's designs for Adidas are so beautiful it makes me want to cry.)
Then Ana Ivanovic survived a 6-7 7-6 10-8 from Nathalie Dechy with the help of the net cord which saved her on a match point. I love it when the ball hits the net cord and then it's floating in the air with no one knowing which side it would land. I knew she would win it, just like yesterday how I hoped/prayed/wished Marat would win over Novak Djokovic. (Nicole, Anna Chakvetadze, Maria Kirilenko, and Daniela are the ones I get the chills when they are faced with even unseeded opponents). 'Nuff said.
Then Serena won her match today 6-4 6-4 to Urszula Radwanska, younger sister of Agnieszka Radwanska. Never knew she had a sister. Cool. For women's tennis, aside from the Williams sisters, now we have the Bondarenko sisters, and the Radwanska sisters. Tennis is a big family, no?
I'm confident Roger would win his match against Robin Soderling. I'm just waiting for Anna Chakvetadze's match which is progressing (she won first set) as I type these shizzles. She sends me the chills, no? I believe she'll win her match, though.
Oh, I just read from Yahoo! news that Dinara Safina (Marat's younger sister - told you tennis is a big family, no?) is added to the Russian Olympic team. Funny how in the French Open she beat three Olympic teammates—Sharapova, Dementieva and Kuznetsova en route to her first Grand Slam final. C'mon, whenever tennis players compete, it's like an Olympic match already. Players from different countries beat the holy crap out of each other in tournaments.
MORAL: I just love this tennis day. Words are not enough to express it. Not even Megatron can rain on my parade. However, there is still a photo that uhm, interests me.. How sweet is that?!
No comments:
Post a Comment