Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Best Damn Back-Up Singers

Recently, MTV shows the live performances of the artists I am going to watch. Well, they showed Alicia Keys' videos the day before she performed here in the Philippines, and now as I am saving this post in the drafts section, I am hearing/watching Avril Lavigne crap her lungs out in a concert in France (I think it's in France). Oh she just said it's for MTV filming her performing live, so she has to sing the newer songs from her latest album, The Best Damn Thing, but the names of the songs they flash in the screen are wrong (well some of the titles). So much for MTV. She sings like whatever, but I don't really care. She looks lazy in performing, she's not enjoying playing the guitar and she looks really sleepy. Yet no one cares, at least I don't. I will write an entry about how Alicia Keys' concert went. All I can say is that she's so damn good, ok, she's great. Amazing. I am now a full-fledged Alicia Keys believer. Before, I just admired her because she writes a helluva of songs with really nice lyrics tackling women empowerment and love of different angles. Hmm, I want to reserve an entry for Alicia Keys alone. An ode to Alicia Keys' greatness. Yeah yeah.

Beijing Olympics start tomorrow!! I don't want to say anything about the Olympics, considering China is hosting it, but who knows, maybe I won't be able to keep myself to shut-up about it and post an entry about China. About China. With parts about the Olympics.

Avril named her tour, The Best Damn Tour but her back-up people are well, stuck with the "damn" part, and completely forgot the "best" part. Avril still looks glum (not glam) in her concert. Her back-up vocalists are pretty useless. Everyone knows Avril Lavigne can't sing, so they must do their part, yet they continue looking obnoxious in the background, just flailing their arms , and jumping the crap around. Gosh, why won't they help her. They help Avril in her arm coordination, though. The voice I can hear in the background is the crappy voice of the rhythm guitarist.


MORAL: Back-up vocalists must sing, not just jump around and look pretty or annoying, whichever is applicable, but I'm leaning on the latter. Back-up. You have to back the performing artist up. I'll watch first, and promise not to add any negative ideas anymore. Haha.

No comments: