Friday, August 22, 2008

Sportsmansheep

I was watching the Women's Basketball Semi-Finals. First game was between USA and Russia. I knew it was clear that team USA would win the game hands down, no contest. However, Russia (led by Maria Stepanova - sounds familiar) managed to keep team USA's scoring average of 90+ to a really low one. They went in to the 3rd quarter with USA leading 33-32. While watching, I wasn't sure if USA can pull out of this one, but I was hoping they would considering they won the last 3 Olympic games. They obviously were not in their zone. In the end, USA edged out Russia, but the latter gave USA a run for the medal. USA's field goals percentage was shameful but what won them the game: rebounds. They now own a 49-3 (.942) overall record in eight Olympic appearances (wow). Score: 67-52.

People in team USA to watch out for according to me: (just search for them to know more)
Candace Parker (6ft. 4in)
Lisa Leslie (6ft. 5in)
Tina Thompson (6ft. 2in)
Diana Taurasi (6ft)

How about Russia? Just search for them (again). For the physiognomists, the Russian team offers a lot of eyecandies.

Next match was between Australia and China. I'm rooting for Australia (200 and 2004 silver medalists) because I have seen them play prior to the Olympics and dang, they're pretty tough! Not to mention I love their trademark jumpsuit-like uniforms. Australia is also the obvious team that can give USA a really hard time considering Penny Taylor and Lauren Jackson the perfect blend of height and muscles, Cherifer-and-Growee-enriched, amazing player are playing together. I heard that Lauren Jackson is the 2nd generation in their family playing for the Olympics. Her mom was a player for Australia before. Wow. China's coach is an Australian, and during time-outs, he gives really fast talks and then a Chinese interpreter sets it out for the team. Crazy. Australia demolished China, and Penny Taylor didn't even play because of an ankle injury from the quarterfinals. Score: 90-56.

Players in team Australia to watch out for according to me: (just search for them to know more)
Lauren Jackson (6ft. 5in)
Penny Taylor (6ft. 1in)
Laura Summerton (6ft. 2in)
Rohanee Cox (6ft. 6in)

So, it's Australia and USA dismembering each other for the gold. Hoorah. It was expected, though. Expect it to be a rough match, because during the Aug. 5 2008 FIBA Diamond Ball gold medal game (wherein USA won 71-67), the referees there were so lenient and both teams went home with scratches, bruises, and black-eyes. No kidding. I was able to watch the delayed telecast of the match and I am disgusted to say that the referees and umpires in that match were useless and should have just gone home stabbing themselves.

Yeah yeah my teams won their matches but what really upsets me is that Russia and China's supporters were yelling out and booing the opposing teams. During the USA match I can't even hear the sound of the ball being dribbled because the Russian support camp were so loud with their "boo's" and all. China was a duplicate. I was hoping they would vomit their lungs out cheering whenever someone from their country scores, but not waste spitting out their saliva and cavities (not that you can really spit it out) when someone from the opposing team scores.

Really, now.


MORAL: Keep your mouth to yourself. I'm not. That's why I'm typing it out here instead.
[I still want Russia, Australia, Switzerland, and Germany's Olympic apparel. Hmm, any Olympic apparel. I. Want.]

2 comments:

yellowbrickroad said...

Sportsmansheep

"sheep-la" =p

yellowbrickroad said...

Sportsmansheep

"sheep-la"