Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Kick Me With Your Fist


My pride sucks, I would hate myself if I lose to a yellow belter.


We had our PE finals today. We had the elimination and final matches planned today. As usual, I fall under the finweight (the lightest and most populated of all. Maybe girls nowadays are really underweight. A fad? Nah, I eat like a horse, though. But I don't resemble any of the horse species) category. (Note that I have been underweight as far as I can remember.) I came at around 3pm, just after Math class. Think about it, after Math, I have to do adrenaline-pumping activities?! Help me, Lord..

I came there and most Taekwondo jins were warming-up already. When they were done, I entered the Martial Arts Center then they called-out names of the students to initially start the tournament. When my name was called, I raised my hand (I even yelled "present," how dumb of me) then when they called out another name and another hand raised, they told me, "Ok, both of you, prepare now."

I was like, "What the - ?! I haven't even tied my belt yet! I haven't had warm-up!" But of course, who am I to complain? Just an adorable, eccentric, different person. (Don't react there.) So I did all I could to delay the match, (I hope my 1st round partner doesn't read this and realized I prolonged our agony) and I managed to not be the first match. Success.
Not for long, I wore my guards and it seemed my heart wanted to get-off my chest, I thought I was having tachychardia and be rushed into the infirmary (which is like what, 10 minutes away from the MAC. Ateneo, what is that?!). Unfortunately there was no way I can escape this event so I went on with it. First round, 5-0. Second round 1-0. I won. I won?! It feels good, 'cause now, I won't have a C for my finals. Ahaha..ΓΌ

My second match and my opponent's first match. I thought, she has more energy now.. Daya. I just thought now I have an excuse to lose.. Haha. However, I know this girl, she's my friend's blockmate! I remember even tying her belt during the Promotion test before, and now I'm fighting with her. I won, 2-0 (I forgot the other one). I had ice on my foot now, it gets more painful as the matches go farther. Then my 3rd match came, my opponent (yes, you guessed it right) is just going to experience her first fight with me since her first match was a default. (Where is she anyway?) Another energy struggle!! And mind you, endurance is my problem, I barely last the second round of my fights.

I was with my PE-mates, and we were thinking whom we would fight next. Amazing.. When we traced the fight diagram, I pointed a name and one of my classmate pointed hers. We are next. Do you know how difficult it is to fight with you friend? She would experience my freaky taekwondo yell. Hannah, if you're reading this, you owe me a lot (I dedicate my bruises and swollen feet to you.) Hannah was the only one who got a score from me, and I tell you, she was tough! 3-2, 3-2, with a friend, I'll never forget that. Hannah practically wore me down, I was wobbly and literally crawling after the semis! Her foot got inside my armor and I have big bruiseS to prove that, and her toenails scratched my knees and foot a lot.. I love you, Hannah, you're my painful friend.

Wait, I'm in the finals?! Freaking unbelievable! Hey, I just brought a small water bottle with me, with a just win one match in mind. My final match was bad. I saw this blue belter kicking heads off from the neck, trust me. I'm so freaked out! I just wanted to forfeit the match, I'll get a medal anyway. But there's no turning back since most of my section D classmates reached the semis and finals, too. (I remembered Coach Jobet telling us our section don't have the talent in taekwondo. He's superduper surprised with the outcome. Really surprised!) So I just thought, just a score, not zero please!! I knew it I'm going to lose. Nope, I didn't expect a miracle. She was a varsity player!! And she was being cheered by the varsity players so I assumed she's with them. They even gave her tips. Right in front of me. Even though I have headgear, dude, I can still hear them! 2-3, (I forgot). I had 2 points and some points in the match! I'm so happy. One thing I didn't like was my opponent's unhappy, dead-cold, serious face. I was smiling and praised her, even congratulated her, then I didn't even get a cold stare or a curse back from her. That frustrated me the most, since I laughed and smiled (the smile with teeth and braces showing) and shook hands (the double handshake) with all my heart in all my matches.

MORAL: Smile! Even if you got kicked from almost everywhere. You won't look like a loser. If you plan to take taekwondo, gain weight even if you have to take Kalteen bars ala Mean Girls because there are less players in the heavier divisions! Also, namedropping feels like hell, so avoid it! (I did 3 a while ago and I felt like a low-life gunk underneath the caf tables)
TIPS for preventing namedropping: I actually did this to Jeddi (now you know why!): Hey, may I take a look at your id, I want to see how you look like in your picture. Then memorize the name and course, fast!
Another would be waiting for the others to call them, then memorize it!
Last, be like Miranda Priestly and have someone remember names for you and just ask them for reference. In short, ask someone who really knows their names. (Hannah, I'm referring to you, who the heck is Teddy? Her name is Kris! Pauso! ahaha)

No comments: