Patience is a virtue... sometimes.
I have a story not about a story I have been reading but a story about how I went about buying a copy of a story I have been reading, desired by not being able to read stories similar to the story that I went off buying in the end.
I have a story not about a story I have been reading but a story about how I went about buying a copy of a story I have been reading, desired by not being able to read stories similar to the story that I went off buying in the end.
What I typed above is just plain mockery of words and the human mind.
What I'm trying to say is that I have a Haruki Murakami book Sputnik Sweetheart. Murakami's pretty popular as I may say, and because I said so, believe it. I am more credible than Wikipedia. Why? Because I said so. OK? We don't need to argue on this. I have heard of his name before; however, it was only almost a week ago that I saw his books placed on a corner in National Bookstore, SM City Sta. Mesa branch. I found the covers of his books plain and striking. White cover with whatever images the cover artists thought to be in line with the book, like naked woman or just plain dizzy font styles. Another is that his books are not mura (cheap) and that is the pain in it. When I am intrigued by the story, I want a tangible copy of the book. Not an e-book downloaded off in the Internet which is really fun by the way since you get tons of free stuff you probably don't need in the first place and positively can live without.
I was checking his books and all of a sudden my phone vibrated inside my pocket. (I still get surprised whenever my phone vibrates in my pocket. Surprised by so much that when I am sitting on a couch/chair my leg would suddenly straighten out and I would slip a few inches off the chair. Yup, that surprised.) I answered it and put one of Murakami's book back onto the shelf. It was the LAST copy of Sputnik Sweetheart which I've been thinking of buying for a few minutes, because PHP425.00 is already a big deal for me (I used to NOT mind spending a lot, until I realized I have needs like clothes, shoes, blank DVDs, etc. and have to pay phone bills). It could leave a painful mark in my allowance jar where I throw a few hundreds every now and then planning to collect them at the end of the month then deposit the cash in the bank. (That's a clue to those who have interests of getting other peoples' hard-earned cold cash.) Where were we? I got sidetracked by the events-that-transforms-into-the-words I type. Hmm, oh yeah, back to the last copy of the book. A girl who was just passing by suddenly grabbed the book, looked at it and went off. She bought the book. I was astounded. I was standing there and watched the last copy fly from the shelf. Right then and there I felt betrayed by the book maybe because it "said" I gave second thoughts of buying it. Another thing I felt is that at least I get to keep PHP425.00 in my wallet.
I was wrong. I kept thinking about the book. I hate it. It always happens to me. Whenever I see something and wouldn't buy it yet (which is the sensible thing to do), then decide to buy it already only to find out it's out of stock already.
Example 1: The jacket. I saw it the first week in Greenhills and then I thought I would just buy it "next time" because well, I didn't want to spend money right then and there. When I went home, I told myself I will buy the jacket the next day I'm free. Weekend came there were no more size small for me, considering I went to Gateway, Greenhills (again), Robinson's Galleria, and SM Sta. Mesa. Only medium ones were left. After that, I decided to buy the medium ones the next day. Then, I went to the same places and didn't find any medium size of the design I wanted! Gosh I was soooooo annoyed. I thought maybe the jacket wasn't really for me. And to think that the small and medium sizes are already obliterated from the face of the earth, there are hundreds of Pinoys out there wearing that jacket. I just hope they all meet together and realize what kind of schmucks they are for buying all of the sizes leaving me with ridiculously large sizes.
Arrggh. So the next time I came to National Bookstore, the moment I saw the book I grabbed it and was ready to box-out the possible people who would want to buy the book.
MORAL: If you want it and really believe you need it, buy it. I'm referring to clothes here. However, my sister still believes in the "if you wait and come back to see it's still there, it's definitely for you" chipping in her experience of buying her jacket. She waited for 28 days (just like a monthly cycle!) and was shocked to see the jacket she wanted still there, waiving at her. If you're buying music CDs, wait for at least a month or so before you buy because most often than not, the record company would release a repackaged version of the album and it includes a crystal case, additional tracks, and all the regret you have of buying the first album right away. They didn't coin "Patience is a virtue" for nothing.
I was wrong. I kept thinking about the book. I hate it. It always happens to me. Whenever I see something and wouldn't buy it yet (which is the sensible thing to do), then decide to buy it already only to find out it's out of stock already.
Example 1: The jacket. I saw it the first week in Greenhills and then I thought I would just buy it "next time" because well, I didn't want to spend money right then and there. When I went home, I told myself I will buy the jacket the next day I'm free. Weekend came there were no more size small for me, considering I went to Gateway, Greenhills (again), Robinson's Galleria, and SM Sta. Mesa. Only medium ones were left. After that, I decided to buy the medium ones the next day. Then, I went to the same places and didn't find any medium size of the design I wanted! Gosh I was soooooo annoyed. I thought maybe the jacket wasn't really for me. And to think that the small and medium sizes are already obliterated from the face of the earth, there are hundreds of Pinoys out there wearing that jacket. I just hope they all meet together and realize what kind of schmucks they are for buying all of the sizes leaving me with ridiculously large sizes.
Arrggh. So the next time I came to National Bookstore, the moment I saw the book I grabbed it and was ready to box-out the possible people who would want to buy the book.
MORAL: If you want it and really believe you need it, buy it. I'm referring to clothes here. However, my sister still believes in the "if you wait and come back to see it's still there, it's definitely for you" chipping in her experience of buying her jacket. She waited for 28 days (just like a monthly cycle!) and was shocked to see the jacket she wanted still there, waiving at her. If you're buying music CDs, wait for at least a month or so before you buy because most often than not, the record company would release a repackaged version of the album and it includes a crystal case, additional tracks, and all the regret you have of buying the first album right away. They didn't coin "Patience is a virtue" for nothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment