Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Full the String to Stop Manong!

The jeepney is the automotive icon of the Philippines. When American troops began to leave the Philippines at the end of World War II, hundreds of surplus jeeps were sold or given to local Filipinos. Locals stripped down the jeeps to accommodate several passengers, added metal roofs for shade, and decorated the vehicles with vibrant colors. (Americans are really everywhere, even in our jeepneys.)

The jeepney rapidly emerged as a popular and creative way to reestablish inexpensive public transportation. Inexpensive, like the drivers' temper. Sheesh.


It has been a while since I've ridden a public jeepney. I rode one yesterday with a friend. I'm always nervous when we're near our destination, I mean with all the "para!" or "sa tabi lang po!" thing. Then there are those "barkers" who constantly haunt you with their "konting usog lang sa kaliwa/kanan." They really try to maximize the spaces inside. Lucky you if all the passengers inside are uhh, ok, let's say, have an average size. Whatever happened to the aircon-jeepneys?! There are also the "innovation" with a cord in the middle of the jeepney's ceiling which has a note "Full the String to Stop" but with the intention to say Pull the String to Stop. One thing nice about Philippine transportation is that jeepneys are the kings! They can stop anywhere their passengers like, no strict jeepney/bus stops to notice at all. The world is their jeepney stop, woohoo.

My friend and I were talking about the cord. I told him I want to pull it, since my destination is getting nearer. I was just about to pull it, with my arm raised already, then the jeepney suddenly stopped! So I thought, "ok, I didn't pull it yet, so maybe one of the passengers would go down." Then we were at halt for around 5 seconds (never thought a second would be THAT long). Everyone was looking at us, like we just pulled it. They just need to point their fingers at us to emphasize the moment dramatically, but we had tennis racquets with us and I guessed they noticed them as well. They could get a good hitting with the racquets, but I am NOT a violent person. (I don't know with my friend though.) Finally, all the silence and staring mixed with hot midday extreme temperature, I blurted out, "EXCUSE ME, we didn't pull the string!"

So ok, not a good move. After 3 seconds, I "pulled the string to stop" because that's where I'm supposed to go. Then it was like the driver was blind or something, so I was jerking the cord and the red lamp in front of him was blinking like hell already. Finally, I said, "MANONG STOP!!!" because we were so far now. Maybe he was exacting his revenge, I don't know. Finally, I was dropped off, it was so warm, I could feel everyone's blood pressure rising. I had to cross the street without my favorite pedestrian lane (you see, I'm not so good and confident crossing streets, even if it would make my journey longer, I would opt to use the overpass and the pedestrian lanes) and was nervous as a hydrophobic seeing water. Not to worry, I reached home anyway, and that is all that matters. Seriously, me is equal to everything. (Hate mails are just a click away, and I can hit well with my feet and racquet. So I guess, we're cool with that.)


MORAL: Some jeepney drivers are really impatient, mad, crazy, and deaf. Blame all those super loud speakers that would get your butt jumping in no time because of the extreme bass. I don't know, there is just something with jeepneys and me. It's not that I try to make everything matter or revolve around me, but really, if saying "para" or pulling the string to stop is as important as breathing, I would be dead by now. (I remembered one time my sister pretended to sleep as we were nearing our stop, forcing me to say "para", I was so hesitant we almost reached the end of the ride. Crap!) One last thing, don't do anything that would make the driver mad, your lives are at stake, he is behind the steering wheel, you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dapat isipin mo na ikaw ang hari, hindi si Manong. Ako ganun iniisip ko eh. Hahahahahaha ;p

Conyo ka. Takot ka sa jeep? Hahahaha ;p

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. imagine mo nalang kami yung mga nagjejeep araw araw. hahaha... yung experience mo nadeja vu araw araw for 18 weeks! hahaha... -dj